The Hoges and the Humes are both families of great antiquity in the south of Scotland. Variations in spelling occured in both names. For example Hoge, Haig, Haigh, Hage and Hogue are all descendants of Petrus deHaga. According to authority, George P. Donchoo, Editor in Chief, "Pennsylvania – A History Biographical", the family is of French origin, having been established in the north of France by William Hogue. that was the spelling of the surname until some of the family, to escape persecution for their religious beliefs, emigrated to Holland and spelled their name 'Hague'. Afterward (during the Twelfth century) part of the family went to Scotland (and adopted the spelling 'deHaga'). The baronage of Scotland published in 1798 states that "in our ancient records (beginning in the 12th Century) the name is written 'deHaga'". Some authors are of the opinion that they are of pictish extraction; others think that they are descendants of the ancient Britons; but as we cannot by good authority pretend to trace them to their origin, we shall insist no further upon traditional history and proceed to deduce their descent by undisputable documents.
The first authentic records we have are of Petrus deHaga, who was proprietor of the lands and barony of Bemerside in Berwickshire and lived in the reigns of king Malcolm IV and William the Lion, which last succeeded to the Crown of Scotland in the year 1165 and died in 1214.
In a donation of Richard deMorville, constable of Scotland, of the Chapel of St. Leonards in Lauderdale, to the monastery of Dryburg, Petrus deHaga de Bemerside is a witness. This mortification has no date but as Richard was constable from 1162 to 1188 it must have been within that space.
Contemporary with Petrus lived Perticus of Petrus-Odell deHaga who is a witness in a charter of confirmation of the same Richard deMorville the constable of the land of Carfrae, etc., to Sir Henry Sinclair, anno 1188.
In the same era lived also Henry deHaga who is said to have been killed in the expedition made by King William against Harold, Earl of Caithriefs in 1199.
What connection these had with one another we know not but Petrus of Bemerside appears to have died about the year 1200 and was succeeded by his son, Petrus deHaga, second baron of Bemerside.
Then follows a succession form father to son in a direct male line to James Haig of Bemerside, the eighteenth baron of this family.
Sir Andrew Haig, sixth baron of Bemerside, who had the honor of Knighthood conferred upon him by King Robert III, was the first to adopt the spelling, 'Haig', which is still in use. In 1425, also during the time of Sir Andrew Haig, sixth baron of Bemerside, we find the first use of the spelling 'Hoge' in the names of Patrick Hoge and Gilbert Hoge, named among the gentlemen who 'devydit the marches betwixt Ridbeth and Bemersyde, Sir Andrew Haig (sixth baron of Bemerside) presiding.'
The conclusion that the names are the same, that Hoge is only another variant of Haga or Haig and that the Hoges as well as the Haigs, all of the same neighborhood, are descendents of Petrus deHaga who came form Normandy about 1150, is supported by the National Cyclopaedia of American Biography with the statement (p. 463, Vol. K) that "William Hoge (Haig) who came to America in the seventeenth century was descended from the Haigs of Bemersyde, Berwick, Scotland, celebrated for centuries by the poets."
Ross B. Kenzie – 2005