So you believe Libertarians care about you?

Marijuana and hemp politics.

Moderator: administration

So you believe Libertarians care about you?

Postby palmspringsbum » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:28 pm

FreeMarket News wrote:TOO LATE TO BARR THE DOOR

Free Market News Network
Monday, January 15, 2007

From harrybrowne.org, July 27, 2002

Headline: "LP Press Release Concerning Crickenberger's Help for Rand"

Excerpts: "Carole Ann Rand, the chair of the board of directors of the Advocates for Self-Government, announced that she will campaign against [Bob] Barr to represent Georgia's seventh district in the U.S. House. By focusing on the issue of medical marijuana, Rand will try to cause Barr - widely considered the most fanatical Drug Warrior in Congress - to lose in the Republican primary election on August 20, said LP Political Director Ron Crickenberger."

"...Barr pushed three amendments through Congress to prevent voters in Washington, DC from approving medical marijuana initiatives. He also has been a vocal cheerleader of federal raids on medical marijuana clinics in states where medical use of the drug has been legalized."

Libertarian Party press release, Aug 9, 2002

Headline: "Libertarian Party Launches TV Ad Campaign Targeting Rep. Bob Barr on Medical Marijuana" (no longer on the LP website but still available elsewhere)

Excerpts: "(Press release from the Libertarian Party's Drug War Task Force)"

"The Libertarian candidate running against Georgia Rep. Bob Barr has kicked off a television ad campaign featuring a multiple sclerosis victim who lashes out against the Congressman for his crusade against medical marijuana."

"'The ads are designed to put a human face on the cruel and destructive war on medical marijuana victims,' says Carole Ann Rand. 'Bob Barr has staked out a fanatical, extreme position on this issue, and I'm going to make sure that voters know that.'"

From Daniel Forbes, writing on AlterNet.org, Aug 16, 2002

Excerpts: "The Libertarian Party is pulling out all the stops to ensure that Rep. Bob Barr, the nation's foremost opponent of medical marijuana, doesn't win the Georgia primary on Tuesday."

"The LP's fetchingly named 'Incumbent Killer Strategy' has -- with good reason -- targeted Barr as the drug war's point man. So the party has purchased nearly $50,000 of airtime on metro Atlanta cable stations (with a few ads on broadcast Fox and NBC slated for this final, pre-primary weekend) for a wrenching, 30-second ad featuring a woman who's suffered from multiple sclerosis for 31 years and is obviously in the last stages of a painful struggle."

Libertarian Party press release, Aug 21, 2002

Headline: "Medical marijuana ads play role in defeat of U.S. Rep. Bob Barr" (no longer on the LP website but still available elsewhere)

Excerpt: "Calling Barr the 'worst drug warrior in Congress,' the Party says, 'Over the past two weeks, Barr had been the target of a barrage of television ads produced by the Libertarian Party.'"

From StoptheDrugWar.org, Aug 23, 2002

Headline: "Ding, Dong, the Witch is Dead: Bob Barr Defeated in Georgia Primary"

Excerpts: "Representative Bob Barr, the dogged and pugnacious drug warrior from the northern Atlanta suburbs, lost to Rep. John Lindner in Tuesday's Georgia Republican congressional primary."

"...the Libertarian Party is taking a small share of the credit."

From FoxNews.com, Dec 15, 2006

Headline: "Former U.S. Rep. Bob Barr Ditches GOP for Libertarian Party"

Excerpts: "Bob Barr, who served eight years as a Republican congressman before losing his seat in 2002, announced Friday that he is now a 'proud, card-carrying Libertarian.'"

"Barr said he has no plans to run for office."

Libertarian Party press release, Dec 15, 2006

Headline: "Former Congressman Bob Barr Accepts Leadership Position within the Libertarian Party" (still proudly posted on LP website)

Excerpts: "On Tuesday evening, former Congressman Bob Barr, a Life Member of the Libertarian Party, was offered the position of Regional 4 Representative of the Libertarian National Committee."

"The state leaders enthusiastically endorsed Barr as their representative to lead them into the 2008 presidential election season."

ReasonOnline.com interview with Bob Barr, by David Weigel, Dec 18, 2006

Headline: "Bob Barr, Unbowed - An interview with the Republican congressman turned Libertarian Party leader"

Excerpt: "reason: In 2002, the Libertarian Party called you the worst drug warrior in Congress. No hard feelings?"

"Barr: To be honest with you that's never come up in our discussions. I'm not going to let minor [sic] disagreements come between us."

Bob Barr, writing on bobbarr.org on why he switched to the LP, Dec 21, 2006:

"...my decision was based not on a desire to improve my chances to be elected to office... or on a change in my philosophy of governing."

Loose Cannon Libertarian Website article, Jan 15, 2007

Headline: "Too late to Barr the door"

Excerpt: "The LP spends $50,000 to defeat Barr and now they're Strange Bedfellows. What next, Nancy Pelosi for Public Relations Director?"

palmspringsbum
Site Admin
Site Admin

Now that Richard Brookhiser is in remission...

Postby palmspringsbum » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:11 pm

LewRockwell.com wrote:December 17, 2007

<span class=postbigbold>Now that Richard Brookhiser is in remission...</span>

LewRockwell.com
Posted by Eric A. Garris at December 17, 2007 09:45 AM

He feels free to support someone who, ten years ago, would have put him in prison for trying to live.

After reading his stupid attack on Ron Paul at National Review this morning, I am reminded of his testimony before Congress in 1996. Brookhiser was recovering from testicular cancer and found that the only thing that could help him deal with the horrible nausea produced by the chemotherapy was smoking marijuana. Brookhiser explained:

"I believe in getting government off people's backs. We should include the backs of sick people trying to help themselves."

After reading the testimony, I called Brookhiser to join an organization I was running at the time, Republicans for the Medical Marijuana Initiative (California's Prop. 215 in 1996). He told me he was sick of Republicans not willing to recognize his right to own his own body, and eagerly endorsed my effort.

Now that Brookhiser is cancer-free, such concerns have apparently evaporated and he is happy to trash Ron Paul and support a candidate (Giuliani) who would lock other medical marijuana patients away in prison.
palmspringsbum
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to politics